In a 3D machine vision system, the target object image is no longer just a flat picture. Now it’s a three-dimensional point cloud of precise coordinates where the position of every pixel in space is known. It simultaneously provides X, Y and Z plane data along with respective rotational information (around each of the axes) as well.
This 3rd dimension of Data is ideal for applications such as:
- Thickness, height and volume measurement
- Dimensioning and space management
- Measuring shapes, holes, angles, and curves
- Detection of surface or assembly defects
- Quality control and verification against 3D CAD models
- Robot guidance and surface tracking (e.g., for welding, gluing, deburring, and more)
- Bin picking for placing, packing or assembly
- Object scanning and digitization
Download an e-book
Download our latest eBook, Solving Pick and Place Automation Challenges with industrial 3D machine vision, for free. This eBook includes 6 industrial automation challenges and how to solve them with 3D machine vision solutions.
Book an online demo
Schedule a free 3D camera demo with our vision engineers! Let us show you a quick demo of what you can expect from Zivid 3D machine vision cameras tailored to meet your specific business requirements.
Purchase a development kit
Now, you can buy a Zivid developer kit bundle to kickstart your 3D vision automation project. Whether it’s bin-picking, piece picking, or machine tending related – the dev kit bundle makes it easy to design stationary or on-arm robot-based picking cells.